W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 1998

Telecon minutes for 14th October

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:26:07 -0500
Message-Id: <199810201522.KAA03363@staff1.cso.uiuc.edu>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Minutes from previous events and new event annoucements can ne found at:
http://www.w3c.org/wai/ua
If there are any questions or corrections send them to the chair.

Agenda
12:00-12:30 Terminology related to point of reguard, selection and focus
12:30-1:00 DHTML

Attendance
Chair: Jon Gunderson 
Scribe: Ian Jacobs 
Daniel Dardailler 
Marja-Riitta Koivunen 
Kitch Barnicle 
Paul Edelson 
Harvey Bingham
Kathy Hewitt
Scott Luebking 

Action Items and Conclusions
Scott and Harvey: will review tables sections 
Jim: will review multimedia stuff 
Jon and Ian: Publish new format for guidelines

Minutes
/* Are people coming to UA Technologies gathering (Nov 1-4 in San Francisco). 
Sig Chi and UA Science and Technology meetings? 
Impromptu discussion of gesticular interfaces */ 
1) Discussion of terminology. 
a) selection (cf. guidelines) 
b) focus (cf. guidelines) 
c) point-of-regard. 
Is the selection? 
Or does it include focus and selection? 
Concern that an extra term will confuse users. 
Ian: selection/focus don't occur often in this document, not worth adding
another term. 
Paul: What do you want to use p.o.r for? Jon: E.g., we talk about moving
selection around and moving focus around (e.g., sequential nav). 
We could simplify. Focus has a specific meaning to developers. 
Ian: Is the distinction useful? 
Group: yes. 
Ian: Not enough places in the document where are discussing "point of regard"
would be useful. Focus: a specific element that can receive focus. Selection:
may encompass several elements, even not-continguous areas. 
Conclusion: Leave as is for now and discuss on list. 
2) DHTML See
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1998OctDec/0056.html
- Define what a DHTML element is.
Ian: I hoped to remove the term DHTML from the doc. - Part of DHTML that is
not
event driven - presentation is modified on the fly. 
DD: Need a section in compatibility on support for DHTML. Problem: it's not
entirely based on W3C technologies. Several scripting languages possible. 
W3C doesn't use the name DHTML (HTML+CSS+DOM+scripting). Which DOM (Level 0 or
Level 1)? 
Either we discuss DHTML in the guidelines (even if not W3C-wide definition) or
we remove the term. - Say HTML under control of scripts instead? 
Ian: Yes, I want to refer to DHTML only parenthetically. Only refer to scripts
in guidelines. 
DD: Probably put reference to what we mean by DHTML in compat section. -
Proposal to put in techniques document. 
Jon: We need Page Authoring support as well. They have no reference to
DHTML or
events in their guidelines or techniques. About all we can do now is deal with
events set explicitly on elements (and not event bubbling). 
Ian: How is event bubbling specified? 
/* Jon gives overview of event handling */ 
Proposal: Guidelines only deal with explicit events. DD: Really a page author
guideline issue. 
People should not be allowed to use programs to replace markup. Analogous to
server-side image map: can't do anything in the UA in that case. 
Marja: Most important elements are form controls and links. What happens at
scripting level is less important. 
Jon: Summary what key subjects are: 
1) What events are associated? (Proposed: "on*" attributes). 
2) Keyboard support to navigate to those elements 
3) Emulation of events (keyboard emulation of mouse actions). 
4) User is notified of changes to document (notably spawned windows). 
Ian: Re 
4): How in the general case do you describe what happened? - This is the
problem. E.g., floating menu moves depending on what you're doing. - Add
component to browser: A narrative window. Tell authors to write scripts that
send descriptions of changes to narrative window.
Jon: Use "title" attribute? 
Ian: Overloading of "title" already... 
Ian: Ask script author to provide description in script definition (static). -
But dynamic approach also necessary. 
Actions: Scott and Harvey will review tables sections Jim will review
multimedia stuff 
Next telecon: 28 October 
Face-to-face 25-26 October 
- Will there be phone access to ftf? Jon: It's difficult to do. 

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870
Fax: 217-333-0248
E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu
WWW:	http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund
	http://www.als.uiuc.edu/InfoTechAccess
Received on Tuesday, 20 October 1998 11:22:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:48:38 GMT