RE: Spawned browsers

From: Charles (Chuck) Oppermann <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 01:40:15 -0700
To: Paul Adelson <paul.adelson@citicorp.com>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
<<
The current UA draft doesn't seem to cover spawned browser windows -
entirely new copies of the browser that can currently be generated
without the user's awareness.

Why is this an accessibility problem?  If another window appears on your
screen and your accessibility aid doesn't tell you, that's not the browsers
fault.

Mind you, I think spawned windows are a pain, usability-wise, but I don't
see that as a accessibility issue.

Windows pop up all the time in the users computing experience - reminders
for meetings, low battery alerts, buddy list messages, etc.

Charles Oppermann
Program Manager, Active Accessibility, Microsoft Corporation
mailto:chuckop@microsoft.com http://microsoft.com/enable/
"A computer on every desk and in every home, usable by everyone!"