Re: A few thoughts on alternative rendering

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:48:50 +1000 (EST)
To: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@netcom.com>
cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Scott, is what you mean that the browsers should make the underlying
HTML, or an equivalently marked-up rendering scheme, available to
assistive technology plug-ins? In this case, it seems like a good idea if
the browser wants to be a universal one. (As opposed to a browser that is
concieved as useful for a small number of people, such as EIA, and could
justify the 'bloat' argument.)

To use the guidelines as a legal stick would require that they were much
more tightly written, and thingswere much more tightly specified than is
desirable, since it would make it difficult to accommodate advances in
technology at a sufficient rate to be valuable. And it would seem to me
that lawyers, who have the necessary background to create documents that
can be used in legal arenas do not generally have the background reauired
to formulate guidelines. Besides which, the law in the US and the law in
Australia and the law in the UK operate differently. Are we writing an
International treaty, or a useful document for people trying to get the
best product to the market the fastest?

Charles McCathieNevile