Minutes from September 16th Telecon

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:22:42 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: Wednesday, September 16th
Time: 12:00am to 1:00 Eastern Standard Time
Call-in: +1-617-252-1038

Agenda
12:00-12:10 Update on reformatting
12:10-1:00 Keyboard navigation

Attendance
Harvey Bingham
Marja-Riitta Koivunen
Daniel Dardailler
Jon Gunderson
Kathy Hewitt
Markku T. Hakkinen
Scott Luebking
Jim Allen

Action Items and Conclusions
Update guidelines by next week
Agenda Items for Future Meetings
       Frames
       Applets
       MathML
       SMIL

Minutes
JG: Discussion time
SL: Keyboard navigation e-mail. Any questions.
HB: Concern about spanning cells.
Internationalization issues
How do people skip over scanned tables
SL: the way I was approach it that there would be information about the cell
being spanned
HB: that's not what is in the HTML
SL: That is subject to interpretation
JG: How is the position feedback to the user
HB: What about the
MK: Should have more consistency
MH: We will not limit ourselves but what the guidelines, we are doing
something
better
SL: Navigation and rendering are tied together
HB: HTML 4.0 blurs navigation and rendering
SL: I was not sure how to integrate header information
SL: How often to people want to go from the body to the header section.
Move up
to the header section and move down to the body section.
HB: What types of rules
SL: I think there is a way of talking to about
MK: The information in HTML in there are specifications for cell orientation
SL: The user doesn't need to go to the top for the row information
The header information is rendered in the cell. The user could configure this
in their browser.
MK: I don't think you want to jump back and forth
HB: The current linearization provides for that.
MK: Same with a table that crosses 2 pieces of paper.
HB: Want user option to query table coordinates and headers
SL: Depends on the type of tables, should put headers in the cells
HB: I am going to spanning more than row. The user agent my render a compound
information for that row.
MK: Hierarchy of titles
SL: One of the suggestions I had was to mark a cell, and return to a previous
cell.
Focus on navigation within a body, more navigation commands within a body. Can
return to the last body cell.
HB: That there be row descriptions about the column as it changes
MK: What more do you get when you go to the header
SL: What do you get when have multiple headers
HB: The user should not need to remember how big spans are
JG: What about signal should be given to the 3rd party assistive technology
HB: What the end result should be should be specified
MH: We want to know what the end results
KH: The user agent needs from a browser, rather than how something should be
implemented
SL: The navigation that is required cannot be handled on a purely keystroke
basis
Requiring the person
MH: We will provide information about the size of the table. People want to
only know what they need to know and a way to get more information. You need
different types of keyboard models for different types of users.
SL: What are core functionality?
MK: There are only three columns.
JG: What about selection and focus
MH: We are
JG: Selection and focus, should they be included
KH: Highlighting or moving the cursor are two different ways to indicate
HB: Some people would like to hide columns or collapse columns. Is that a user
control we would like to have.
SL: There might be a way through user navigation.
HB: I am thinking of a magnified window.
MK: I think this would be handy
On a very small screen it would be useful
SL: Gets tricky with spanned cells
HB: For no spanned cells
JG: Keep the headers
HB: Just related to cell distances, how do people know they are gone
SL: Should they be hidden or moved
MK: They should be collapsed
HB: Some information on that something has disappeared
Allow the user to
JG: Kathy
KH: Windows 98 moving the keyboard focus.
JG: Selection and focus
MH: There is no difference between focus and selection.
If you want to decompose a selection into sub information
You can query images for alt or longdesc
HB: Mark you have given a lot of thought, some
JG: I need to get these topics in my head space
Discussion about collapsing tables:
temporary hiding or collapsing a rows or column
JG: New topics brought up for future telecons
Frames
Applets
SMIL
MathML