RE: [Fwd: WAI and seizure disorders]

From: Charles (Chuck) Oppermann <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 19:50:13 -0700
To: "'Ian B. Jacobs'" <ij@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
The UA cannot control what the applet or object does.  I can write ActiveX
controls and Java applets that do nearly whatever I want without the UA's
knowledge or ability to control it.

What about <BLINK> and <MARQUEE>? Those are not W3C supported tags.  I agree
there be a recommendation that UA's should only display the first frame of
an animated GIF if a option is set.  This would also disable the blinking of
<BLINK> and the scrolling of <MARQUEE> text.  Although in the case of
MARQUEE, there could be information loss.  A better suggestion would be to
ignore the <MARQUEE> tag and display the contents in-line.

Charles Oppermann
Program Manager, Active Accessibility, Microsoft Corporation
mailto:chuckop@microsoft.com http://microsoft.com/enable/
"A computer on every desk and in every home, usable by everyone!"

Note to Judy:  Once again, I almost sent this reply directly to Ian and not
the list because of the screwy listserv in use at the W3C.