From: Scott Luebking [mailto:phoenixl@netcom.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 1998 8:56 PM
To: w3c-wai-ui@w3.org
Subject: Re: CSS Options

Hi, Chuck
I may have missed something, but I didn't see your explanation for not
having a separate box for an accessibility style sheet.
Could you tell why you believe there shouldn't be a separate place
for an accessibility style sheet?  Perhaps, you're assuming that disabled
users won't want to make some minor adjustments to the accessibility
style sheets to fit their own preferences?

As I mentioned on the conference call, I've done a fair amount of
work with user configuration issues.  My goal is in general to
give as much user satisfaction as possible.  Often I found that
users like the flexibility to tweak things to get it how they want it.
This makes users feel that the application is adjusting to them rather
than they're adjusting to the application.

The other important aspect is to let users tweak without learning
a lot of additional information or being exposed to the possibility
of making unexpected mistakes which they can't figure out how to fix.
Forcing them to modify accessibility style sheets will open the
possibility of customer support problems either for Microsoft or
the provider of the accessibility software when they try to
help users find their mistakes.  Trust me.  I've been down
this road a number of times.  Customer support people will prefer
it this way.

Scott

PS  There's a phrase in the user interface world that user-friendly
is programmer-hostile.