ALT="text"

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:40:55 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
CC: "w3c-wai-au@w3.org" <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>, Gregg Vanderheiden <GV@TraceCenter.org>
In Section 3.4:

"...user agents should ensure that alternate textual representations
("Alt-text") of information be available to the user. ..."

WL:: It is important to get stronger than "should" in this particular
context.  By providing alternative "copouts" ("user agent may simply
substitute the word 'IMAGE'") we actually encourage forgiveness of
authors who are failing to provide ALT="text" for images, particularly
those used as links.

In addition to the authors, the vendors of authoring tools must be held
responsible for *requiring* ALT="text" before permitting a document to
be saved as HTML.

The ALT attribute is required (in HTML 4) when an IMG element is used.
We must back this up with our guideline language.
--
Love.
            ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE