RE: tables, object, maps, frames, refresh, etc...

From: nir dagan <dagan@upf.es>
Date: Sat Jun 6 06:47:08 1998
To: chuckop@MICROSOFT.com
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Nir:
> 5.1 allow user to define different text decoration for visited and
> unvisited link (e.g. underline unvisited, do not underline/strike
> through visited). This is good for color blind people or monochrome
> screens. Distinction by color is not sufficient.

Charles:
 > This can already be accomplished through a user side style sheet.

Nir:
WAI user agent guidlines may apply to browers which do not
support stylesheets. For those who support stylesheets, this
requirement is indeed trivially satisfied.

Nir:
> 5.2 allow users to set "always show image border when used as link"
> (override border=0) as well as "always show active frame border".

Charles:
> Why?

Nir:
A user may want to know if an image is a link or not. Also he may
want to know what is the active frame for scrolling with the
keyboard or printing. (These requirments too may be achieved with
stylesheets.)

I think we all agree that good support for CSS2 makes a browser
more user friendly and improves accessibility.
For example a user may override practically all presentational elements:
E.g.,

FONT {font-family: inherit;
      font-size: inherit;
      font-color: inherit;}

but still the UA guidelines specify these explicitely.

Regards,
Nir Dagan
http://www.econ.upf.es/%7Edagan/