From: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2024 1:21 PM
To: Sabrina Curutan <curutasv@gmail.com>; Schafer, Carmen <schafercg@missouri.edu>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Designing and Testing for Reflow

I have used the 'Window Resizer' extension, but it sets the window size incorrectly (for me) when the browser window has a vertical scrollbar, in which case the actual window width is always 16px less than it should be. It sets the window width correctly if there is no vertical scrollbar. This is precisely why I always set the width manually.

The “Width and Height Display” extension just displays the window size and is accurate.

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/width-and-height-display/hhcddohiohbojnfdmfpbbhiaompeiemo

The “Viewport Dimensions” extension also displays the window size. It displays both the inner and outer dimensions. The inner dimensions match the sizes reported by other tools. The outer dimensions are weird – I know what they are supposed to measure, but they don’t and I can’t tell what they are measuring.

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/viewport-dimensions/kchdfagjljmhgapoonapmfngpadcjkhk

I mostly just rely on the dimensions that are displayed when the developer tools are open – I had forgotten that this is built-in to Chrome and is not an extension.

All the tools above give the same measurements except for the 'Window Resizer' extension, so I really wouldn’t recommend using that.

Steve