RE: Question about restitution of aria-describedby

Ensuring that aria-describedby works even when the referenced text is visually hidden has a strong use case because that text may not make sense to screen reader users in isolation (e.g. when browsing content with arrow keys). Hiding it prevents that potential confusion.

From: Marc Haunschild (Accessibility Consulting) <marc.haunschild@accessibility.consulting>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2023 9:44 AM
To: Armony ALTINIER - Koena <armony@koena.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question about restitution of aria-describedby

Hi Armony,

This behavior is typical for most (all?) screenreaders. I was also surprised when I heard that for the first time.

I can’t remember which, but I think one SR-browser combination does not read the hidden texts and it’s considered a bug.

You might want to check the computation of accname if you want to know more about the spec, if you’re not familiar with it. But as far as I remember it is not about hidden text. Maybe this is way sr behave the way they do:

 <https://www.w3.org/TR/accname-1.1/> Accessible Name and Description Computation 1.1

 <https://www.w3.org/TR/accname-1.1/> w3.org

 <https://www.w3.org/TR/accname-1.1/>

--