Re: screen readers and punctuation

Thanks Jim for the two examples.  These two are, in my opinion, clearly
web author/owner issues that need to be fixed.  Many of the other examples
are Text-to-Speech (TTS) and Screen Reader issues to fix, not the author.
So its important, in my opinion, to distinguish which type of issue it is
and who is best (author, TTS, etc.) responsible to address the issue that
caused the symptom.

There are what I call classic benchmark test for TTS and Screen Readers
users to use to check their settings and capabilities for context,
acronyms, and abbreviations, but have nothing to do with the web page
author's responsibility to fix.  For Example:
        a. 1002 St. John's St. is a CIA office - should be spoken or read
as: "1 thousand 2 Saint John's Street C I A office." by the TTS or Screen
Reader - nothing for the web author to fix or change,

Is there a standard TTS benchmark test published somewhere that a W3C
working group could improve and reference and settle this ongoing debate?
___________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility
Conformance Report VPAT? at  able.ibm.com/request
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Accessibility Executive
IBM Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/