Re: screen readers and punctuation

I have had a similar experience with different SR and punctuations/symbols
reading behavior in one of the projects I worked on recently.
It was bit frustrating that SR was ignoring simple symbols like '+, -, *,
/, <, etc.'
Using MathML for simple expressions was not feasible in my situation.

Instead of using the symbols as is, we used their respective HTML character
codes.We referred below link to get the entities:
https://www.rapidtables.com/web/html/html-codes.html

The result was an improvement in the reading behavior. SR were identifying
the symbols.
However it was still not 100% coverage.

Ultimately, we had to add a disclaimer stating SR might skip some symbols
We had to leave the choice of enabling the setting to read all punctuations
in SR tools to the User as that cannot be done programmatically.

Thanks,
Kalpeshkumar Jain