RE: SC 4.1.1 source fails but DOM passes - must a page fail?

I'd tend towards only calling out failures of SC4.1.1 if there's a
noticeable blip in the behaviour of assistive technologies.

In my experience, much valuable time and effort can be spent "fixing"
validation issues in either source or computed code that have absolutely no
discernible impact on accessibility, especially when the success criterion
requires that only four parsing rules are satisfied per a specification.

User agents are much more capable of handling even these parsing
"violations" these days so, if it has no discernible impact, then in my view
it's worth focusing on more pressing accessibility issues .

Cheers,

Adam