Re: SC 4.1.1 source fails but DOM passes - must a page fail?

Since the intent of 4.1.x is compatibility with assistive technology (AT),
and since AT uses the resulting DOM and rarely if ever see the actual
original source code
I would recommend the HTML in the DOM is what needs to be "valid",
because then you/we know the user agent + AT did their job correctly as
intended by the author / web developer.

see https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/parsing.html - note it use
term "content", not 'original source code:

...The intent of this Success Criterion is to ensure that user agents,
including assistive technologies, can accurately interpret and parse
content.

__________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
Check out the new system for requesting an IBM product Accessibility
Conformance Report VPATŪ at  able.ibm.com/request
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Accessibility Executive
IBM Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/