Re: Would incorrectly implemented landmarks constitute a WCAG failure?

A developer IMO does not have the option to haphazardly  implement a technique.
The intent of adding markup  to make a page accessible is exactly
that': to make the page accessible.
Haphazard and incorrect implementation  can  detract from  other
useful accessibility markup and in fact confuse users who rely on
accessibility markup for accessing digital content.

See ARIA11: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/ARIA11.html
If an attempt is made to implement a particular technique, do so
completely and correctly or  else  delete the markup  / ensure it does
not take away from the page's accessibility.
So if the h1 correctly marks the correct start of main content but if
the skip to content moves focus to a different point or the main
landmark is not in sync with the h1 there surely is an accessibility
problem on the page.
Generally ditto for the other landmark issues that are listed.
I would happily mark these  as WCAG failures  but as others have noted
all such accessibility transgressions should be flagged (whether
considered WCAG failures or not), for correction  before deployment if
accessibility is the goal.
Thanks,
Sailesh

On 5/8/19, Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/05/2019 20:42, Jonathan Avila wrote:
>> Many organizations seem to flag multiple nav elements without accessible
>> names as it can be difficult to tell without vision which nav is which
>> especially when they are at the same section level.  I think I've also
>> seen folks flagging multiple asides within the same section if they don't
>> have accessible names.
>
> Many organizations flag a lot of things that are arguably not hard
> failures :)

> --
> Patrick H. Lauke

Sailesh Panchang