Re: double underscore with meaning

Patrick H. Lauke composed on 2018-09-06 16:35 (UTC+0100):

> Siegman, Tzviya wrote:

>> I often work on accounting content. It is common in the accounting world
>> to use a double underscore to indicate that the number is the sum, the
>> final number in the column. Below is an image including a sample (sorry,
>> I don’t have the HTML table to share). This can be accomplished with a
>> CSS, using something like border-bottom: 10px double;

>> My question to this group is how can I make the double underscore
>> accessible?

Semantically, an appropriate character instead of CSS:

https://unicode-search.net/unicode-namesearch.pl?term=UNDERSCORE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underscore

‗ ‗ ‗ ‗ ‗ ‗ ‗

> The fact that the row header already says "Total ..." is arguably
> sufficient I'd say.

Nope. This convention is well over a century old, the source of the term "bottom
line". Those who skim balance sheets, income and cash flow statements for the
bottom line focus on the number column.

If it wasn't for accountants, personal computers would have taken many years
longer, or may never have, become the ubiquitous tools that they did. The double
underscore isn't going away.
--
Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/ *** retired CPA