Re: Bold vs Strong

One of the reasons I like strong / em is that I can use the semantic
strong / em and then use css to make the visual distinction different
that b / i when needed.

I rarely do that but for example - in an aside I normally have the the
text italicized already so in an aside, I tend to use css to use more
font weight with the em tag and both more font weight and underline with
the strong tag.

Technically can do that with b / i tags as well - but using the CSS to
override what tags historically mean isn't something I like.

But em / strong have semantic meaning and the display of bold / italic
is just a default intended to be altered as needed.

Screen readers may not currently distinguish between b / i and strong /
em but that doesn't make the difference meaningless.