Re: WCAG violations or accessibility enhancements

> On 2. Mar 2018, at 21:04, <chagnon@pubcom.com <mailto:chagnon@pubcom.com>> <chagnon@pubcom.com <mailto:chagnon@pubcom.com>> wrote:
>
> Your car analogy (see Duff's comments below) is good, but it doesn't jive in one key way for us in the technology business: Whatever our manufacturers do in their software affects those who create content and use AT to access it.
>
> If I make a table in Word, I need a way to designate the user requirement for column headers. Word, the manufacturer, needs to provide me, the content creator, with the tools to do this. I can't do it on my own; the tool has to be there for me to use.

[...]

> Therefore, in these types of digital media, the manufacturers — all of them in the workflow — have to be told somehow what the accessibility requirements are for tables and column headers—what you called the user requirements. And the manufacturers must build their software to let the content creator make a compliant table with column headers.

What you say actually supports what Duff has written:

- a car maker has to put a seat belt into the car
- a driver and the passengers have to buckle up

- Word (or any other such program) has to provide a possibility to indicate whether a table cell is a header cell or not, and if so, for which other cells it serves as a header cell
- a user has to pay attention to using this possibility in an adequate manner

Same same.

Olaf