RE: WCAG vialations or accessibility enhancements

From: Bim Egan <bim.egan1@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2018 09:57:35 -0000
To: "'Srinivasu Chakravarthula'" <lists@srinivasu.org>, <chagnon@pubcom.com>
Cc: "'w3c WAI List'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Agreed! It deserves a +100.

Bim Egan
Skype: bim.accessequals
Coordinator: Describe Online
W: www.describe-online.com
E: bim <mailto:bim@describe-online.com> @describe-online.com
Partner: AccessEquals
W: www.accessequals.com
E: bim.egan@accessequals.com

From: Srinivasu Chakravarthula [mailto:lists@srinivasu.org]
Sent: 02 March 2018 08:55
To: chagnon@pubcom.com
Cc: w3c WAI List
Subject: Re: WCAG vialations or accessibility enhancements

Very well said! Thank you...

Srinivasu Chakravarthula - Twitter: http://twitter.com/CSrinivasu/
Website: http://www.srinivasu.org | http://serveominclusion.com

Let's create an inclusive web!

Lead Accessibility Consultant, Informatica

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 1:42 PM, <chagnon@pubcom.com> wrote:

I'm just a lurker on this list, but I'm a member on other accessibility
standards committees.

This issue of non-sequential (or out-of-order) headings has become a heated
debate everywhere and I believe it's a terrible trend. It certainly
violates, in principal, the concept of making digital media accessible to

Writing, editing, publishing - regardless of the media that delivers it -
has always stressed a logical hierarchy of headings and that theory has
worked well over the past 100 years of communication. It's called good

I don't understand what has brought about this change in thought on all the
standards committees, that it's OK to jump from H2 to H5.

It is not ok. It harms many people who use assistive technologies.

What's happened to our commitment to those of us who use assistive
technologies, who depend upon them? Does the community's needs no longer
have any merit? During the past couple of years, those of us on standards
committees seem to have put the cart before the horse.

Our standards are developed for people who use technology - not for the
computers or technologies that deliver the content. Otherwise, we are just
wasting our time developing any accessibility standards at all.

Peoples' need first. Then it's the software engineers' job to make their
technology meet those needs.

-Bevi Chagnon

- - -

Bevi Chagnon, founder/CEO  |   <mailto:Bevi@PubCom.com> Bevi@PubCom.com

- - -

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting . training . development . design . sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes

- - -

 <http://www.avg.com/internet-security> AVG logo
www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>