From: Katie Haritos-Shea
Sent: Thursday, March 1, 2018 7:03 PM
To: Michael Gower
Cc: Alan; Rakesh Paladugula; Ramakrishnan Subramanian; WAI Interest Group
Subject: RE: WCAG vialations or accessibility enhancements

Well said, Mike.

WCAG interpretations can comprise whole careers, and do.

Alan, I think we would all like and encourage headings to be used and nested correctly.

But for technology agnostic reasons 1.3.1 has no requirement (in the normative WCAG 2 standard language) that specifically identifies that 'headings must be nested properly'.

That was not because when WCAG 2 was being written that the WG members didn't want to include that notion, but we were trying to move away from the HTML technology-specific language in WCAG 1. Not an excuse, it is just the landscape at the time.

Additionally, requiring nested headings *can* become a *requirement* of any organization, if they so chose.

In a court of law though, the chances of winning a lawsuit against a website based on headings not being nested properly, per WCAG 2 conformance, might be hard to prove.

Should developers use nested headings to improve accessibility? Can you use 1.3.1 as a basis of discussion to convince your developers to nest headings? Absolutely!