Re: Table Scope=row working with screen reader?

On 26/02/2018 21:12, Subramanian, Poornima (PCL) wrote:
> We are coding for a simple table where scope=column and scope=row
> defined for headers. When checking with screen reader (NVDA, JAWS), both
> the “row” and “column” headers are not announced together.

I think it's scope="col", not scope="column".

I also wouldn't expect both the row and column headers to be announced
at once. When moving vertically up/down a column, the row header should
be announced before the content of the cell. When navigating
horizontally left/right through a row, I'd expect the column header to
be announced before the contents of the cell.

> The ‘row headers’ are completely skipped. Only the ‘column headers’ are
> announced while navigating through table cells.

Do you have some example code and/or an example you can point to?

> Is this a known issue? Any suggestion to fix this?

I've just run a quick test using the following code, and both Jaws and
NVDA announce the row and column headers as expected.

Though I'd note that using the <th> element instead of <td scope="...">
is arguably a better idea.

Léonie.

--
@LeonieWatson @tink@toot.cafe Carpe diem