Re: Differentiating links from normal text

Hi Poornima,

There are so so many options for styling links beyond a standard underline.
Below are a few ideas to get you started:

a bottom border has far more styling options than an underline, and it
offers up a world of interactive possibilities. Check out these examples
and tutorials <https://speckyboy.com/underline-text-effects-css/>, the gold
border used for article titles on the Taste website
<https://www.tastecooking.com/>, and this variation of the "better underline
<https://codepen.io/lhorak/pen/bEavyg>" or "smarter underline
<https://eager.io/blog/smarter-link-underlines/>" approach (ie, an
underline that does not overlap with descenders) on the Women & Tech website
<http://womenandtech.com/>.

a heavier font weight than the surrounding text can help links stand out.
Here is an example from Subtraction <https://www.subtraction.com/>. Note
that they've combined a bold font weight with a thin bottom border.

a background color can make links appear highlighted. See the "Support Our
Journalism" link on The Intercept website <https://theintercept.com/> and
the highlighted link example on this page of inline anchor tutorials
<https://codepen.io/nickmortensen/pen/ryJLD>.

an icon, such as an arrow, may be associated with a link (echoing Richard's
recommendation above.)

All of this being said, the convention with article titles is that they are
often assumed to be links without any special styling, such as on the NY
Times website <https://www.nytimes.com/>. I'm guessing that the only text
that needs special treatment is the CTA, so perhaps focusing on that alone
will resolve the problem.

++

Michellanne Li
Web Designer