Re: Differentiating links from normal text

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 23:10:15 +0100, Subramanian, Poornima (PCL)
<psubramanian@hagroup.com> wrote:

> Couple of questions –
>
> 1.     Any design suggestions on how the links can be differentiated in
> this example to make it compliant? (e.g. bold, >underline the title)

There are many ways to make some text look different to the rest. For link
text, as long as you are consistent and the difference is clearly
noticeable, it probably works.

> 2.    Is underlining or differentiating the links must or nice-to-have
> for WCAG compliance?

For WCAG compliance it is not obviously required.

That seems like a flaw (but may have been decided on the basis that "users
with disabilities are in the same boat as everyone else here so it is not
an accessibility requirement").

In reality it is critical. If users are unable to discover that something
is a link, they will probably not click it even if it is exactly what they
need. For the vast majority of users that means it must be visually
distinct.

In particular it is not reasonable to assume users will work out what is a
link by guessing, or try all the content on the page, e.g. with "tab
through and we highlight the focus": touch devices often don't have that
functionality, and for may mouse users it is infeasible.

cheers

Chaals

--
Chaals is Charles McCathie Nevile