From: Lovely, Brian [mailto:Brian.Lovely@capitalone.com]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 9:02 AM
To: Mark Weiler <mweiler@alumni.sfu.ca>; David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Assistive Technology Detection

Mark Weiler said: Related to AT detection is how can a site or app know what web content technologies to serve up that are accessibly supported without knowing the user agents and AT the user is using?

This is where standards and avoidance of fanciful “unicorn” widgets over combinations of standard HTML form elements comes into play. You are correct that there is no “one size fits all” solution. For instance, JAWS will deduce a possible accessible name for a form element even when a properly associated label is missing, whereas NVDA will not. The best approach is to adhere to standards, incorporate accessibility principles early (if that unicorn widget never makes it into the design, the developers won’t build it), and test.

  _____