Re: Assistive Technology Detection

| how can a site or app know
| what web content technologies to serve up
| that are accessibly supported
| without knowing the user agents and AT the user is using?

My understanding is that for a site or app to claim conformance, the
claimant has to know or the claim has to state which accessibility
supported technologies were relied upon in the conformance testing, not in
what the user is using after the conformance testing is done.  Of course
what users actually use significantly influences what are the definitive
list of accessibility supported technologies.  There is no requirement to
"serve up that technology" to claim conformance.

For example, if the operating system and browser platform support high
contrast technology, the claim can be made that the site or app conforms
(or still conforms) with all the WCAG Success Criteria when the user is
relying on those accessibility supported features in the operating system
and browser platform.  The site or app conformance would fail if the 1.3.1
Info and relationship success criteria fails because some labels or
headings "disappeared" when turning on the high contrast accessibility
features supported in the OS & Browser.
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/