Re: CSS vs personalization

The issue of user style sheets has always been a red herring. The real
issue is providing the ability to readjust visual style is the ways
required by people with sight who also have print disabilities.

What we need is a machine readable format that enables user preferences to
be forwarded to user agents so that necessary transformations can be
included by user agents in the presentation of web pages.

The need for profound rearrangement if visual presentation is real. Font
size enlargement up to about 48pt with word wrapping is essential for
people with low visual acuity.  Control of color for reading materials is
essential to address reduced contrast sensitivity and photophobia. Letter,
line and word spacing are also extremely helpful. A linearize presentation
as in a cell phone is also essential. These things can all be implemented
easily with appropriate forethought.

I think CSS really needs to stop being a focus. The issue is flexible
visual format. Content needs enough semantic markup to support visual
transformations. User agents need to combine this information with user
profiles to create accessible visual interfaces for sighted people with
print disabilities. It is all very doable.

Wayne Dick

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Tobias Bengfort <tobias.bengfort@posteo.de