From:   Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
To:     w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Date:   06/25/2018 07:51 PM
Subject:        Re: Font accessibility

Phill Jenkins composed on 2018-06-25 18:03 (UTC-0500):

> we cannot advocate for or allow a trend of a one size font fits all.

IMO this is qualifiedly false, depending on the definition of "size".

The whole problem of font sizes dates back to the incorporation of the
CSS1 spec
in web browsers, specifically, the px unit, and its perfect disregard of
the
UA's default text size.

If the rem unit and its kin were the only permissible units for sizing
anything
other than bitmap images, at least 90% of font size problems would
instantly
disappear (as would display density issues, and computer software as
impediment
to technological display advancements).

With the rem unit, the user gets to pick the ideal physical size of the
sizing
unit, whilst the perspectives, which are what the designer is really
interested
in, are under the control of the designer - WIN-WIN!

If you don't believe me, take a look inside these two very simple examples
made many moons ago and have not since touched:

http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Sites/dlviolin.html

http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/Sites/Ksc/

All the design-side solutions and workarounds I've seen for text size
problems,
including in particular "responsive design", to me look like _literally_
trying
to push rope.

Felix Miata  ***
http://fm.no-ip.com/