Re: [White paper] A11Y Wars: The Accessibility Interpretation Problem

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for your in depth analyses. I agree with your suggestion to
reevaluate the idea of technology agnostic. The problem of that has always
been we've been catering to the lowest common denominator. When WCAG 2.0
came out we also sort of all collectively decided to ignore that Flash has
next to no taxonomy - The only thing it knew of widgets was buttons and
links. We got around that by putting "markup languages" into some SCs, but
it's not great.

Some of the ideas that are going into Silver support this. With WCAG 2.1
we've done the same thing with the single key shortcuts. That's clearly a
technical limitation of Dragon. That should not have been made the problem
of a million web developers in my opinion.

Regarding ambiguity: In the ACT Rules Format we have actually broken this
problem into two parts. Whether or not a rule is applicable has to be
unambiguous, but the actual requirement is required to ambiguous, provided
there aren't obvious multiple viable interpretations, and it doesn't use
subjective terms such as "good", "clear". I think this is helping us define
much more reliable test procedures than we've had for WCAG 2.0 before.

Wilco

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Senior Accessibility Engineer - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair Auto-WCAG