RE: screen readers and html 5 elements

David

From: Michellanne Li [mailto:li@palantir.net]
Sent: May 17, 2018 10:55 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: screen readers and html 5 elements

Hey ya'all,

My team is struggling with an issue regarding adding aria labels to <section> elements in the markup for a website. Due to the way the site has been set up in Drupal, it's going to be a pretty heavy development lift to add an aria label to a particular section (the other sections are fine) due to the section's unique markup. It looks like this:

<section>

    <h2>News</h2>

    news content

    <h2>Events</h2>

    events content

</section>

Because this section contains two divs with different headers, I am not able to use the aria-labelledby attribute. And because the content editor might use other blocks instead of news and events, we can't hardcode an aria-label attribute.

Our testing tool (Siteimprove) flags this this as an "warning" because it could be a problem for screen readers, but I'm having trouble understanding why and how to fix it.

Thanks!

++

Michellanne Li

Web Designer