From: Michellanne Li [mailto:li@palantir.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:55 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: screen readers and html 5 elements

Hey ya'all,

My team is struggling with an issue regarding adding aria labels to <section> elements in the markup for a website. Due to the way the site has been set up in Drupal, it's going to be a pretty heavy development lift to add an aria label to a particular section (the other sections are fine) due to the section's unique markup. It looks like this:

<section>
    <h2>News</h2>
    news content

    <h2>Events</h2>
    events content
</section>

Because this section contains two divs with different headers, I am not able to use the aria-labelledby attribute. And because the content editor might use other blocks instead of news and events, we can't hardcode an aria-label attribute.

Our testing tool (Siteimprove) flags this this as an "warning" because it could be a problem for screen readers, but I'm having trouble understanding why and how to fix it.

Thanks!

++

Michellanne Li
Web Designer

Palantir.net<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__palantir.net_&d=DwMFaQ&c=pLULRYW__RtkwsQUPxJVDGboCTdgji3AcHNJU0BpTJE&r=dC_UMEUmMt99VWyKrKPEqTxnbvpXlSbd6mQlzIdMbyICf0SCKN1_f4B400_d3Ziy&m=zfLSG1aY0otiKg_ZD6mKwbgoj0mIlMDYiKZVEhGr22w&s=6EIV6ro8_mB4Y6osaA_9AJyQZLSUVqF4yV2ylQ9mw48&e=>
773.645.4100<tel:773.645.4100>

Sign up for occasional emails:  http://www.palantir.net/newsletter<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.palantir.net_newsletter&d=DwMFaQ&c=pLULRYW__RtkwsQUPxJVDGboCTdgji3AcHNJU0BpTJE&r=dC_UMEUmMt99VWyKrKPEqTxnbvpXlSbd6mQlzIdMbyICf0SCKN1_f4B400_d3Ziy&m=zfLSG1aY0otiKg_ZD6mKwbgoj0mIlMDYiKZVEhGr22w&s=DSFj0-NCgxlyfYO0U6p0JhChvN9rIHe73POkZ6spaI0&e=>
Follow us on Twitter<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_palantir&d=DwMFaQ&c=pLULRYW__RtkwsQUPxJVDGboCTdgji3AcHNJU0BpTJE&r=dC_UMEUmMt99VWyKrKPEqTxnbvpXlSbd6mQlzIdMbyICf0SCKN1_f4B400_d3Ziy&m=zfLSG1aY0otiKg_ZD6mKwbgoj0mIlMDYiKZVEhGr22w&s=kHdKZ5j2UPpMbwsvVp5OhW-6m0FTAyqfKHKSHzBfmaE&e=>