Re: CSS vs personalization

From: Tobias Bengfort <tobias.bengfort@posteo.de>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 16:10:26 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 17/12/17 12:46, David Woolley wrote:
> On 17/12/17 10:54, Tobias Bengfort wrote:
>> - To extend the semantics of HTML (in many cases in combination with
>> JavaScript)
> That's a fundamental breach of the reasons why CSS was developed, which
> was to separate the meaning from the styling.

I tend to agree. Still, there are cases where this breach is generally
accepted, e.g. `display: none` hides content not only visually, but also

However, I think there is still a distinction between "new" semantics
(e.g. rich JavaScript widgets) and "variations" of existing semantics
(e.g. different color schemes on buttons to convey non-essential
information like importance or context).