RE: Should Datepickers be treated as a Modal Dialog?

There is no one best way to design an accessible date picker or date input field.  Using a dialog, either modal or non-modal, can provide some useful advantages, especially to keyboard users, for more complex date pickers. However, it is certainly not necessary to use a dialog.

Matt King

From: Sean Murphy (seanmmur) [mailto:seanmmur@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:24 PM
To: Joseph Yang <joesaiyang@gmail.com>; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Should Datepickers be treated as a Modal Dialog?

Joseph

“It is my understanding that if there is an area for the user to input the date, that the calendar would not need to be accessible. Although, going the extra mile to making it accessible would be ideal.” I find this an interesting  statement. As your assuming a person knows the date they want to use. What occurs if the user knows it is the 3rd Wednesday of the month they need to enter in the date field? If they cannot access the calendar and the calendar provides the correct information. Then the user is stuck and has to use alternative methods.

Sean Murphy

ENGINEER.CUSTOMER SUPPORT

 <mailto:seanmmur@cisco.com> seanmmur@cisco.com

Tel: +61 2 8446 7751