From: Lovely, Brian [mailto:Brian.Lovely@capitalone.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:21 AM
To: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>; W3C WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Should Datepickers be treated as a Modal Dialog?

If the datepicker is in the form of a modal (a widget with its own close button, and presumably atop a semi-opaque overlay) that temporarily supersedes all other activity, then it should trap focus like a modal. Otherwise, a user could accidently navigate away from the widget and become confused.

I don't see it as any different from a modal containing a small form. I would treat it as a modal dialog, including the role of dialog on the container.

Every example of an "accessible" date picker I have looked at online does not treat the datepicker as a modal dialog. Is this because it is not a seen as a modal dialog but rather a specific task based widget? Should the datepicker container <div> take on the same characteristics as a modal such as hiding the background from screen readers when the datepicker calendar is active?