Re: Some free courses on accessibility and more on Landmark Roles

Unfortunately NVDA does not run under Linux so it is not an option for me.

With respect to putting aside outside of main, I found this slide:

http://presentations.cita.illinois.edu/2014-11-ahg-aria-html5/slide13.html

It does not specify complementary role as top level. If there are screen
readers that do not handle it well when it isn't top level, maybe that
is a bug with those screen readers?

Placing the aside the section / article it is part of might accommodate
the bug, but would require a complete redesign.

aside has been part of the html5 spec I believe since the beginning, it
isn't exactly new.

It seems to have had its definition redefined in 2009 to allow it to be
used as a sidebar because that's what people were mis-using it as (a
decision I disagreed with) but it still retains the original meaning
when used within the context of an article element.

If some screen readers can't deal with the valid use of HTML5 tags that
are well over five years old then maybe the screen readers need to hire
devs that can fix their broken product.

A specification is useless if it is considered wrong to follow it, as
seems to be the case with aside within an article.