Re: Drag and Drop with Drupal 8

Greetings, WAI and Mike:

This kind of Drag and Drop functionality is needed, more and more, and
even if/when it's done right, I think it's so rarely done that I'm not
sure screen reader users (only, here) will actually have seen it often
enough to understand how to do it.

In Mike's issue, here, for easy reference:

https://www.drupal.org/node/2920006

there's discussion of using ARIA grid. Again, grids are rare, and often
not done right, so I'm not sure whether that would be necessary for drag
and drop; it might be "over-ARIA-fication."

I'll add a few more links, below, but suffice it to say, in my mind,
WordPress *may* also come to need this functionality, such as, perhaps,
via the new Gutenberg editor. So, it would be great if folks could
collaborate/learn from one another.

To that end, I'm bcc-ing some WordPress folks who, as far as I know,
aren't on the WAI list. And I'm including some others who may have an
interest/additional contributions.

To my way of thinking, user testing with a range of users will be
essential to getting this right, but the CMSs are in an excellent
position to serve as training grounds for end users + promote tested
approaches.

There are several more links, below, perhaps for addition to Mike's
Drupal issue. And good luck to all.

Best,

Jennifer

A discussion of four possible patterns -- post via SalesForce:

https://medium.com/salesforce-ux/4-major-patterns-for-accessible-drag-and-drop-1d43f64ebf09

This, from Shopify, which has been begun, but wasn't finished, last I
looked at it:
https://shopify.github.io/draggable/

This SitePoint article by James Edwards that came out a while ago, but
likely has concepts worth considering:
http://www.sitepoint.com/accessible-drag-drop/

And finally, this, related to Drag and Drop and React, which may not
have much to do with accessibility, but does seem to have some useful
usability concepts:
https://medium.com/@alexandereardon/rethinking-drag-and-drop-d9f5770b4e6b