Re: tab vs. arrow keys with NVDA and Firefox

What is the keyboard behavior (expected & actual) in Firefox & Chrome
without JAWs or NVDA loaded?  I always check with and without a screen
reader loaded, and check for efficiency too.

Keyboard behavior, as mentioned in WAI-ARIA spec, should also be designed
to be efficient.  The Tab key should NOT stop at each and every control
(e.g. button, tab panel, etc.) within a structure.   The semantics
communicated in the visual representation and the semantics communicated
to the screen reader should usually be similar, although some interactive
designers have different opinions.

In your example, the visual representation appears as a heading with 3
buttons (I'm not sure with the limited info in the example if the results
of click the button makes changes to the DOM, or if it takes the user to a
new page.)
while the code seems to communicate a heading with 3 links,
        <a class="btn btn-yellow" href="/jobseeker/physician"
tabindex="0">Physicians</a> . . .

Is there a "best practice" keyboard interactive pattern documented
somewhere? This should help you choose your design based on a set of 3
buttons, 3 links, 3 menu items, 3 tab panes, etc.
Unfortunately, often when asking new designers about keyboard behavior,
that have no idea why or how keyboard interaction should be designed.
Hence the need for repositories of documented keyboard patterns.

I'm not sure if this resource is current or not, but seems pretty recent:
https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/
anyone have a better choice to use, or an additional reference?
__________
Regards,
Phill Jenkins
pjenkins@us.ibm.com
Senior Engineer & Accessibility Executive
IBM Research Accessibility
linkedin.com/in/philljenkins/
ibm.com/able
facebook.com/IBMAccessibility