Re: PDFs and WCAG 2.4.5

Thank you both for the answers so far.

I should have been more clear about the fact that the sitemap was simply an
example.
I should also have searched this mailing list it's history before asking
this question as I have asked almost the same question as Michèlle van
Vlerken asked last year. However she never really received a clear answer
it would seem to me.

Our question is: Is it the intend of the SC that every PDF can be found in
two ways like HTML pages and if so, is there currently a website that
complies with that intent?

Chaals McCathie mentioned "I believe the purpose was to support navigation
through "strict hierarchy", and by search. In a public web site that can be
indexed by a search engine this is trivial." and Jonathan Avila answers "So
it sounds like SC 2.4.5 can be met by using external search engines"

Which suggests that all public websites automatically comply to SC 2.4.5
(unless they stop crawlers) simply because external non-embedded search
engines exist (for example: google), but I don't think this is the case as
we cannot be sure that these external search engine comply with WCAG.

@Sean: Within the PDF itself the table of content and the bookmarks would
indeed be two ways to reach every chapter within the PDF. But the SC
doesn't demand that chapters within web page can be reached in two ways,
only that web pages themselves can be reached in two ways, so technique
PDF2 always struck me as kind of silly as it doesn't help to comply with
the SC. In fact, the working group agreed in October last year (as a
response to the question raised by Michèlle) to make the technique advisory
instead (which makes a lot of sense, as it is still a very good idea to add
bookmarks).

Thanks again for reading,

Brian Bors