PDFs and WCAG 2.4.5

From: Brian Bors <b.bors@accessibility.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2017 11:53:32 +0200
To: w3c WAI List <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello mailing list,

We were wondering about WCAG 2.0 SC 2.4.5 and PDF's. The SC demands more
than 1 way to reach every web page. In the definition WCAG uses a PDF is a
web page.

According to our strict interpretation this means that all the PDF's should
be mentioned in the sitemap when a sitemap is chosen as the second way.

Is this the intend of this SC?

Technique PDF2 suggests bookmarks within PDF's are the way to meet this SC,
but this doesn't seem to be the case as bookmarks point to chapters within
a PDF, not PDF's itself. This would suggest it is not the intend of the SC
to demand links to every PDF.

So, what is the correct interpretation?

Brian Bors
*Accessibility Expert*

[image: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/accessibilitynl>  [image:
Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/accessibilitynl>  [image: LinkedIn]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/accessibilitynl>  [image: Instagram]
[image: Logo Stichting Accessibility - Digitale toegankelijkheid voor