Re: Negative numbers

From: Russ Weakley <russ@maxdesign.com.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 10:20:58 +1000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi Jospeh,

If negative numbers are a concern just for you, then you can change
your verbosity settings and set punctuation to "all"

Keep in mind, this will then read out a lot more information such as
colons, full-stops etc, and you may find this becomes painful.

If this is for an application for other users and you are worried
about the following:

- there are a fair amount of VoiceOver users who may be using the app
- you are concerned that not all VoiceOver users will have their
verbosity punctuation set to "all"
- there are negative numbers that are important for these users to understand

In circumstances like this, you may wish to use a work around (or
hack). A simple solution is to use an aria-label:

You can see this in action here:

Quoting Joseph Yang <joesaiyang@gmail.com>:

> I'm having an issue with Voiceover not reading negative numbers. Apparently
> it is not reading the minus sign. Has anyone been able to find a work
> around for this? I've read that using parentheses was an option, but
> because I work in banking, I'm not sure if that will be a viable option for
> the stakeholders.

Russ Weakley
Mobile: 0403 433 980
Skype: russ-maxdesign