Re: Color Contrast (Minimum) Level AA requirement for "Photography" image

On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 17:38:02 +0200, Patrick H. Lauke
<redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

> On 28/09/2017 16:17, Subramanian, Poornima (PCL) wrote:
>> Great, here's my question -
>> In our application, there are brochure images which are actually the
>> "photography of cover page" in JPEG format. Though they are photography
>> images, it has large amount of text in it which does not meet minimum
>> color contrast ratio.
>> Attached image is a sample brochure.
>> I find the below NOTE for the WCAG Reference: 1.4.3 Contrast (Minimum):
>> The visual presentation of text and images of text has a contrast ratio
>> of at least 4.5:1
>> “Note: Images of text do not scale as well as text because they tend to
>> pixelate. It is also harder to change foreground and background
>> contrast and color combinations for images of text, which is necessary
>> for some users. Therefore, we suggest using text wherever possible, and
>> when not, consider supplying an image of higher resolution.”
>> Can you please look and advise if the "color contrast” on this image is
>> required to make this image compliant? Or increasing the resolution of
>> image alone will be sufficient?
>> Your suggestions, please?
>
> I'm assuming here that the title of the brochures is also presented
> somewhere nearby as real HTML text.

I assumed they were not and suggested that making that happen would be one
way to fix the problems. If they are then yes, these would be decorative
images and you would be fine.

cheers

> If so, arguably those images serve more of a decorative purpose (to give
> users a flavour/idea of what the brochure looks like), rather than
> acting to convey text for the user to read. As such, I personally would
> deem these acceptable as they are.

Chaals is Charles McCathie Nevile
find more at http://yandex.com