Re: Unicode character for CC symbol?

On 09/08/2017 02:11 AM, Nigel Megitt wrote:
> The obvious difference between all those video symbols and the CC button
> is the CC button has language-specific characters in. Coming at this
> problem from a different angle, a universal icon that doesn't have letters
> in it would be a Good Thing, and would work in the proposed scheme. I have
> seen such a thing, but I'm not sure how common it is.

*snip*

I would really like a universal CC emblem.

There are universally recognized emblems for other things accessibility
related.

What organization(s) might be approached to consider creating such a symbol?

Also one thing I've noticed about FireFox that uses the glyph with the
CC in it, it also uses that glyph for subtitles which are technically
different than captions - and html5 recognizes that difference by having
two different kind attributes on the track element.

There's also a descriptions kind.

It may be beneficial to try and come up three different glyphs to
distinguish between those types of track elements that are universally
understood.