Re: Braille readers read Arial font characters incorrectly

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 12:11:19 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 05/09/17 11:48, Harry Loots wrote:
> In a meeting with a focus group a few days ago (i'm currently managing a
> re-design of an intranet for a UN agency in Rome) a user suggested that
> certain characters in the Arial font are misread by Braille readers. (He

I wouldn't expect Braille readers to get anywhere close to the font engine.

> specifically mentioned "i"  which he said is displayed as three strokes
> or something...)

The character you have quoted is U+0049 which is so basic that it should
not cause problems.

I'm wondering if the problem you are actually encountering is with the
"fi" ligature (U+FB01), or similar.  These are, strictly speaking,
glyphs, not characters.

Whether these physically appear in the data stream will be a combination
of whether they appear in the target font and the authoring tool.
Personally, I would expect tools designed for accessibility not to
generate ligatures, relying, instead, on the renderer.

In my experience, they are common in PDF, but I've never noticed one in