Re: What exactly will trigger a screen reader buffer update?

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 08:58:06 +0100
To: Lars Holm Sørensen <lhs@diversa.dk>
Cc: WAI IG <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
hi Lars,

a buffer update does not = screen reader starts reading new content, it
means that when the screen reader encounters the new content it will be
available.

aria-live=off is equal to the absence of the attribute.

--

Regards

SteveF
Current Standards Work @W3C
<http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2015/03/current-standards-work-at-w3c/>

On 5 September 2017 at 08:41, Lars Holm Sørensen <lhs@diversa.dk> wrote:

> Hi clever people J
>

> Can anyone tell me exactly what will trigger an update of the screen
> reader buffer, when new content is dynamically added to a webpage?
>

> I do not want the screen reader to automatically start reading the new
> content.
>
> Is aria-live=”off” the right way to go in this case?
>

> Are there other methods that will make the screen reader buffer update?
>

> When searching the internet I only find rather old information on this
> subject.
>

> Best regards:
>
> Lars Holm Sørensen
>

> De bedste hilsner
>
> Lars Holm Sørensen
>
> Diversa ApS
>
> Tlf: 25 21 17 41
>
> www.Diversa.dk <http://www.diversa.dk/>
>

> Udelukker du 10% - 20% af brugerne fra din hjemmeside? Se videoen!
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9lgzNBvZA>
>
> [image: se videoen her] <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM9lgzNBvZA>

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)