Re: Keyboard interaction in menus

On 19/08/2017 11:57, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am seeking for help to understand the impact of issue with the
> keyboard interaction  in the menus on the web.
>
> As mentioned at https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Using_ARIA_menus, it is
> required that the menus on the menu bar should be navigable by using
> arrow keys, but this is not in practice for majority of websites, so is
> it a violation of 2.1.1, or it is more of a usability issue?
>
> As a matter of fact it would be good to have similar keyboard
> interactionfor the widgets on desktop and as well as on the  web, please
> share your thoughts.

This is often a point of contention, so expect to get answers falling on
both sides of the fence. But there is an argument that "proper" ARIA
menus are most appropriate for web applications, where they
mimic/replicate the behavior and functionality of native applications,
whereas for general web navigation, it's possibly more appropriate to
stick to regular "list of links" type approaches.

See https://www.w3.org/WAI/tutorials/menus/

Patrick H. Lauke