Re: Issues with PDFs

From: Duff Johnson <duff@duff-johnson.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 16:55:48 -0400
Cc: w3c-wai-ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To: Amanda Lacy <lacy925@gmail.com>
Hi Amanda,

> I'm using NVDA and Windows 10 with Adobe reader. Can someone tell me
> why these things happen?
> I'm required to decide how many pages to display. If I choose "single
> page" I have to issue some command at the end of each page to keep
> reading. But if I choose "entire document", and the document is huge,
> Adobe reader crashes. Why should I need to worry about how much of
> anything is visible on the screen? Which setting just works without
> hassle?

You didn’t say… but be sure you are using the latest version of Adobe Reader.

The fact that you can only read what’s on the screen / on the page (PDF or HTML) isn’t an accessibility issue per se. I recognize that this isn’t much comfort to you. Yes, super-long PDF documents can present readability issues… but that problem is not PDF-specific.

> Words blur together.

This is due to poorly-tagged PDF files.

> PDFs are full of these errors in my experience. How can I fix them?

By complaining to the author that the files are poorly tagged, and are thus inaccessible.

> Adobe doesn't save my place. If I arrow around in a PDF, alt-tab away
> to go do something else, then alt-tab back, I'm never in the place
> where I left off. Why is that? Again, fixable?

I can’t speak to the interaction between the PDF viewer and NVDA in this context. It’s likely this behavior is “application-dependent”. I suggest checking NVDA’s support content.

> Also, what commands provide the most random access which you think I
> should know?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean here.