From: Rich Morin [mailto:rdm@cfcl.com]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 2:31 PM
To: WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: Amanda Lacy <lacy925@gmail.com>
Subject: treeview questions

I'm interested in finding a highly accessible treeview implementation to adopt for my code.  So, I was quite interested to find that the "WAI-ARIA Authoring Practices 1.1" has several examples I could try out and borrow from.

However, the examples worked very poorly for Amanda Lacy, when she tried using them with NVDA.  The entries I could see on the screen didn't appear for her and the suggested keyboard interactions didn't work.  Could someone give this a try and let us know if we're simply missing something?

More generally, I gather that declared properties may work better than computed properties with some software, though they clearly increase the size of the HTML payload.  In my case, compatibility is a much bigger issue than payload size, so I've been planning to use declared properties.  Are there other considerations I should take into account?

-r

Links:

- WAI-ARIA Authoring Practices 1.1
  https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/#TreeView

- File Directory Treeview Example Using Computed Properties
  https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/examples/treeview/treeview-1/treeview-1a.html

- File Directory Treeview Example Using Declared Properties
  https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/examples/treeview/treeview-1/treeview-1b.html

- Navigation Treeview Example Using Computed Properties
  https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/examples/treeview/treeview-2/treeview-2a.html

- Navigation Treeview Example Using Declared Properties
  https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/examples/treeview/treeview-2/treeview-2b.html

 --
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm           Rich Morin           rdm@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume    San Bruno, CA, USA   +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation