Re: Videos - do we need both captions and transcripts?

Yes, "audio description" is the term we use in the UK. I've also heard
people just use "description" to avoid stating whether it is "audio" or
"video" that is doing the describing or being described!

I like the idea of your scheme for qualifying the term "video description"
except for the one obvious case that quickly becomes confusing: an audio
track used to describe a video would become an "audio video description"
which sounds like it is a generic description of audio-visual content.
Sigh. Language is tricky!

Kind regards,

Nigel

On 06/02/2017, 15:49, "Janina Sajka" <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

>Good points, Nigel. Thanks.
>
>In the MAUR we simply followed the lead of the HTML-WG in terminology.
>We invented one term, "primary media resource," to name the thing for
>which alternatives were identified. Unsurprisingly I suppose, no one had
>bothered to name this other than to call it "the video" or "the song."
>Not helpful when talking about alternative presentations.
>
>Another excellent example of usage confusion internationally is
>describing video. Sometimes this is called audio description, because
>the description is historically presented as a binary audio track sync'd
>to the primary media resource. ISO's SC35 WG6 adopted this usage. We
>preferred "video description" as it names what is being described, and
>is expandable that way to "texted video description," or "recorded video
>description," or any number of qualifying helper terms to identify how
>the video is being described--through what technical mechanism.
>
>Best,
>
>Janina
>
>Nigel Megitt writes:
>> It's highlighted elsewhere but it's worth a reminder that this
>>terminology
>> is not consistently used globally.
>>
>> In the UK and much of Europe "subtitles" are used both for text intended
>> for hard of hearing and for translation purposes and "captions" are
>>labels
>> that appear burned into video, for example the name of a contributor on
>> news programme on a banner at the bottom of the screen.
>>
>> For clarity I have come to use the words "caption" and "subtitle"
>> interchangeably in the context of accessibility and to qualify this with
>> the intended purpose e.g. "hard of hearing subtitles", "translation
>> subtitles" etc.
>>
>> It's okay for a W3C document like MAUR or HTML to define its own usage
>> internally and reference its own terms; attempting to force these on the
>> world at large is unlikely to succeed when there is so much prior usage
>>of
>> the same terms.
>>
>> "Subtitles" are also mini titles that appear underneath main headings!
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Nigel

>>not
>> >>

>> >Actually this use case is for what's called "subtitles," which differ
>> >from captions by not including information about key, nonverbal sonic
>> >events.
>> >
>> >We spent some time during the MAUR 1.0 process exploring whether we
>> >could somehow combine subtitle and caption, but that effort was
>> >categorically rejected. It seems the subtitle using public would not
>> >accept textual information about key sonic events, which they're
>>assumed
>> >to be able to hear perfectly well.
>> >
>> >Best,
>> >
>> >Janina