From: Adam Cooper [mailto:cooperad@bigpond.com]
Sent: Sunday, 5 February 2017 10:54 AM
To: 'Ajay Sharma' <ajaysharma89003@gmail.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Guidelines to implement shortcut keys

Hi Ajay,

Short answer: no. WCAG doesn't 'mandate' features as such. The key (no pun
intended) for 2.1.1 is 'function'.  That is, if closing a dialog can be
achieved by activating a close control with keyboard input then this
criterion is satisfied. It doesn't mandate mapping the ESC to this function.
I don't believe 2.4.5 has anything to do with keyboard input.

if you are planning to implement keyboard shortcuts, you may want to
consider:
- the intended/target user group
- any potential assignment conflicts
- whether there is already a user-agent provided shortcut
- different cross-browser & implementation behaviours
- whether the shortcut is to focus or activate something
- how the shortcut is conveyed to users

There are plenty of well-intentioned implementations out there which, in my
view, hinder rather than help ... best to use them sparingly and with a
strong use case.

cheers,
Adam