From: John Foliot [mailto:john@foliot.ca]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 12:08 PM
To: 'Gregg C Vanderheiden'; 'Nimisha Joshi'
Cc: 'Janina Sajka'; 'IG - WAI Interest Group List list'
Subject: RE: Videos - do we need both captions and transcripts?

Hi all,

Related to Nimisha's question/comment:

> and captions are for synchronized

Both captions and video descriptions are synchronized to the "Master" timeline of the video: their utility is based on this synchronization. Transcripts (Gregg called them scripts, but I am unsure what his differentiation is, however the *actual* WCAG definition is for alternative for time-based media - https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#alt-time-based-mediadef) traditionally are not synced to the video resource, but (per the MAUR) should instead take advantage of semantic structure (good headings, inter-document navigation, etc.)

To be WCAG 2.0 AA compliant (and now, Section 508 compliant) you MUST provide both Captions and Audio Descriptions, whereas Transcripts is currently a AAA requirement (1.2.8 Media Alternative). However, by my observation and experience many organizations interpret SC 1.2.3 (Audio Description or Media Alternative (Prerecorded)) as saying that *IF* you provide the Transcript, that it meets the "Media Alternative" portion of that SC. This is due in part to the fact that a) WCAG 2.0 calls for "audio" descriptions (and does not contemplate text-based descriptions), and b) creating audio descriptions is rather burdensome and expensive today (even though it remains the preferred solution for the primary constituent group: non-sighted users).

So… to be "fully inclusive" you should have the following (I am indicating the Primary constituent group, but caveat that it impacts other users as well):

·         Captions [time-synced]: Deaf/HoH, Cognitive (includes non-native language speakers as well)

·         Descriptions [time-synced]: Blind

·         Transcripts (Scripts) [NOT time-synced]: Deaf-Blind

I'll also second Janina on referencing the MAUR for more background and explanation of these user-requirements (above and beyond what WCAG 2.0 provides).

HTH

JF