Accessibility intersectionality with language barriers [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi there,

Apologies, if my terminology is incorrect, or if I'm emailing the wrong lists, I'm not sure who to approach with my enquiry.

I work in a space where we are attempting to make digital services more accessible for users from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds (CALD). We've found the best way to do this is through simple text, symbols and where possible provide translations, however this is an ongoing process.

I was wondering if language barriers are considered as part of the development of the WCAG guidelines? Language and cultural barriers in themselves prevent users from accessing services, and there is an intersection of CALD users who also have other accessibility issues  such as low vision.

Thanks,

Jasveer Singh
Project Officer
Multicultural Services Branch  | Channel Operations, Indigenous and Intensive Servicing Division
Department of Human Services
Level 1, 140 Redfern St, Redfern NSW 2016
(02) 6298 6027

On the topic of